From humble beginnings as a campaign group for cheap short stay parking, 4CG has generated over £500,000 to fund community services and projects, empowered local people and demonstrated the power of community solidarity.
The cooperative Cymdeithas Cynnal a Cefnogi Cefn Gwlad/Society to Sustain and Support the Rural Countryside (4cg) was established to offer cheap short stay parking in Cardigan, one of the most expensive places to park in Ceredigion. Through a community share issue and the support of over 700 people, the project raised £300,000 to buy an empty site to provide local parking to bring in visitors and shoppers to the town centre. Income is recirculated within the local economy and revenue is reinvested in community projects including:
- Re-opening a disused shop as an EcoShop, selling local produce, crafts tools and clothing;
- Renovating a disused building for reuse as the Cardigan and District Agricultural and Maritime Museum;
- Renovating a derelict cottage to provide affordable accommodation for a local family;
- The purchase of the courthouse, to be reopened as a community venue;
- The purchase of the police station, to be let as office space;
- A weekly local produce market
- The installation of Wifi masts for affordable internet connects for local people and visitors
- Regular cleaning, painting and maintenance projects
The project was named overall winner of the Action for Market Towns Awards 2013.
Find out more: